$25K Grand Prize
Climate Change Needs Behavior Change
Congratulations to our winners!
- Early Entry Prize: Northwest Earth Institute's EcoChallenge Platform
- People's Choice Award: One Million Women
- Judges' Chioce Award: Solar Sister
Climate change needs behavior change. What people eat, what they buy and what they use contributes directly to climate change. And while human behavior is the root cause of climate change, it can also be the solution…if we use what we know about human behavior and decision-making to help consumers make climate-friendly choices. Solution Search: Climate Change Needs Behavior Change set out to identify and spotlight the best solutions from around the world for motivating individuals, households and communities to adopt climate-friendly behaviors and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The solutions incorporate one or more core behavior adoption strategies: Emotional appeals, Social incentives, or Choice architecture.From over 200 entrants, our judges narrowed the field to the Top 10 Finalists! Click on the finalists below to learn more about their inspiring climate solution, then vote for your favorite. You could help them win $25,000 and expand the impact of their work to fight climate change. Click here to learn more about the science of behavior change.
Top 10 Finalists
No form submissions available.
Organization: Ecoed Life - under Commit HCS Ltd
Country: Hong Kong S.A.R., China
Organization: Northwest Earth Institute's EcoChallenge Platform
Country: United States
Organization: SOLIDARIEDADE NA MOKILI
Country: Congo (Kinshasa)
Organization: Plant the Seed
Country: South Africa
Organization: Savia Atmospheric Fountains & Rivers
Organization: Potohar Organization for Development Advocacy (PODA)
Organization: African Christians Organization Network
Organization: THE NEW JONESES
Organization: 412 Food Rescue
Country: United States
All entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Context Analysis: Clear description of the challenges and of the context in which it operates and the challenges it faces.
- Solution: Solution is fully developed, addresses contest question and implemented at some scale.
- Actions: Clear, concrete steps in implementation. Engaged key partners and stakeholders along the way. Entrant understands how actions could connect to external initiatives as well.
- Results: Strong results associated with conservation, climate change and behavior change - and any additional co-benefits, such as economic, food security/nutrition and water.
- Sustainability: Sustainable solution that can continue into the future.
- Return on investment: Positive return (financial, social, or other) associated with investment in the solution. Results are reasonable in comparison to the investment.
- Replicability: Extent to which the solution could be replicated by other communities
Solution Search is open to all organizations who have a proven solution in working with people to adopt climate-friendly behaviors. While we celebrate innovation by individuals, they are not eligible. Entries will be considered that comply with the following:
- Applications must be submitted by August 7, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET.
- If selected as the winner, applicant must agree to use the prize money to further the solution and organization’s goals.
- If selected as the winner, applicant must agree to comply with all national and international laws governing the transfer of any prizes, monetary or otherwise, across national and international boundaries.
- Agree to all terms of submission as described in the Terms and Conditions.