Describe your implementation:
Since 2013, PlastikDetox has deployed several approaches to reduce single-use plastic usage within the circle of small businesses.
1. For recruitment, PlastikDetox seeks out business owners who are willing to conform their operations to our standard – a set of guidelines that outline our expectations in terms of the reduced use of plastics. Once business owners agree to this, the collaboration can formally begin and the business is eligible for training, applying the accreditation stickers in their premises.
2. Scaling up the number of participating businesses has proved challenging in that we quickly saturated the number of motivated, eco-minded businesses, leaving us with a ‘long tail’ of small business owners who are less concerned by their environmental impact. This means that the rate of members increase has levelled off of late, calling for a different approach. Working through a monthly local bazar in Sanur has allowed us to reach out to many food vendors in one venue, creating economies of scale in terms of outreach efforts. In this collaboration, PlastikDetox apply Zero Waste concept when people were asked to minimize their waste specifically on the Food and Beverages area, and separate their waste in a correct manner. As we also engaged food and beverages sellers to reduce single-use plastic for wrapping of their products, we put posters around the venue to remind end consumers of their waste. We acknowledge that the consumers in this event are relatively affluent and educated.
The key factors that are important in our program are our business-minded approach and strong partnership with various stakeholders and other organizations.
However, we found some partners did not comply the regulations as per initial agreement. In this case, we hold the membership as well as the incentives. Other than that, we also experienced hard times in changing sellers’ behavior in Sunday Market to change their wrapping material to banana leaves.
Since 2013, PlastikDetox has successfully recruited 35 partners around Sanur, who have changed throughout time, because of inconsistent implementation of the initiative. In 2018, the number of committed businesses is 20 partners, who are spread around Sanur, Kerobokan and Jatiluwih. PlastikDetox engaged 3 kind of partners.
1. Satvika Bhoga (organic shop)
2. Peek A Boo (cafe)
3. Cafe Smorgas (cafe)
4. Bali Buda (cafe)
5. Tandjung Sari (cafe)
6. Warung Santai (restaurant)
7. Warung Kecil (restaurant)
8. Soul in A Bowl (restaurant)
9. Rumah Sanur (cafe)
10. Kopi Toko (coffeeshop)
11. Warung Dapur Deli (restaurant)
12. Ginger Java (cafe)
13. Khatina’s (cafe)
14. Green Bikes (bike rent + cafe)
15. Secret Moksha (restaurant)
16. Genius Cafe (cafe)
17. Mom (organic shop)
18. Little Talks (restaurant)
19. Edmong’s Kitchen (food catering)
20. Green Window (cafe)
Other trash communities :
1. Niskala (recycling ceremony waste)
2. Trash Hero (weekly beach clean up)
3. Eco Bali Recycling (waste bank)
4. Youth local communities (sekeha teruna teruni and karang taruna desa)
5. Simalu.id (waste bank apps)
6. DuaKala (recycling high plastic quality)
7. Marine Faculty of Udayana University
8. Bali Sustainability Hub (searching for funding)
9. Environment body of Bali Province (policy)
Zero Waste event related:
1. Sanur Sunday Market - Mercure Resort
2. Yayasan Pembangunan Sanur